"" project cake pop: Pastel cake pops (Part 1 of 2)

Friday, December 30, 2011

Pastel cake pops (Part 1 of 2)

I have a few friends who asked me how I made my pastel cake pops.  I started making cake pops just a month ago so I'm a newbie but I'm more than happy to share what I know.  I've experienced cake pops falling off the lollipop sticks, cracked candy coating and more.  But as what they say practice makes perfect.  Along the way I've discovered techniques and tricks on how to prevent them from happening again.

I bake my cake from scratch. But you can always use an 18.25 ounce box cake mix which can make approximately 48 cake pops.  Bake the cake as directed on the box using a 9-by-13-inch cake pan.  Let cool completely. Once the cake is cooled crumble it into a large mixing bowl. Add ready-made frosting and mix it into the crumbled cake using the back of a large metal spoon.  Just use enough frosting so you can roll your mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls or to your desired size. Don't put a lot of frosting so as to preserve the cake-like texture of your cake pop.  However, not enough frosting in the mixture will not hold a round shape. When this happens put a little bit more of the frosting.  Roll the cake balls by hand so it's really important to wash your hands thoroughly.  Don't touch anything else while you're rolling your cake balls.  Place the cake balls on wax paper-covered baking sheets.

Since the cake balls need to be firm (not frozen) they need to be chilled in the refrigerator for several hours even overnight if you're not ready yet to dip them in the melted candy coating.  You can also place them in the freezer but should not be more than 15 minutes and transfer them to the refrigerator.  When you're ready to dip the cake balls in the melted candy coating take a few cake balls at a time from the refrigerator because if you will take them all out they will lose their firm texture. 


No comments:

Post a Comment